Cheap shots, unfortunately, are part of football. They often go unnoticed, but with the help of reader submissions, we do our best to call attention to these despicable, cowardly acts in hopes the offenders will be punished.
Once again we present the 10 finalists for the Cheapest Shot of 2007. You get only one vote, so review the plays carefully. Texas A&M's Kellen Heard was the runaway choice as having the Cheapest Shot of 2006 for a late hit on Texas quarterback Colt McCoy.
In no particular order, here are the finalists along with a link to the original post.
1. An unidentified Western Kentucky player cuts down Bowling Green defensive end Nick Davis at the end of this play. Davis suffered a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Watch closely at the end of the play, at the bottom left corner of the "B" painted at midfield. Link to original post.
2. Auburn lineman Chaz Ramsey chop blocks Louisiana State's Glenn Dorsey. Although Dorsey escaped serious injury, he was never quite the same for the remainder of the 2007 regular season. Original post.
3. LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson delivers a karate chop to the head of Kentucky quarterback Andre Woodson. Original post.
4. Texas A&M's Von Miller with a blatant late hit on Texas Tech quarterback Graham Harrell. Original post.
5. Ohio State linebacker Ross Homan tries to rip the head off Washington's Jake Locker by grabbing the quarterback's facemask. Original post.
6. Florida defensive tackle Clint McMillan flattens Matthew Stafford after the Georgia quarterback takes a knee. Original post.
7. Notre Dame's Travis Thomas and Mike Ragone rip off the helmet of Penn State's Jerome Hayes and then rough up the Nittany Lion. One of 14 penalties that were called on the Fighting Irish. Original post.
8. Another Auburn chop block, this time on Clemson defensive tackle Dorell Scott in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. Original post.
9. Michigan receiver Greg Mathews has his eyes gouged by Florida linebacker Dustin Doe in the Capital One Bowl. Original post.
10. Washington's Jake Locker takes a late hit from USC's Shareece Wright, one of 16 penalties called on the Trojans during their 27-24 victory. Original post.