Friday, July 21, 2006

Toledo Still Fired Up Over Being Fired

Bob Toledo remains a bitter man. Toledo, now 60, was fired as UCLA's coach in 2002 after a season-ending loss to Washington State. He was told by athletic director Dan Guerrero that he would not be allowed to coach the Bruins in the Las Vegas Bowl. "They bring me in, get me out of my office, and it's 'Go home. Don't talk to the team.' It took a week and I called every kid to explain what happened, and they wouldn't let me coach the bowl game. I couldn't go to the banquet. I don't want to say they treated me like a criminal, but I was really disappointed with the way they did it," he said. ... Toledo was 49-32 in seven seasons at Westwood, including a 20-game winning streak. An embarrassing series of off-field issues, including players misusing handicapped parking placards, and four consecutive losses to USC proved to be his downfall. Toledo got back to work in January when he was hired as New Mexico's offensive coordinator.

No comments: