Monday, June 09, 2008

Jeff Tedford Gets Wired

Jeff Tedford lives in one of the most technologically savvy areas of the country, but the California coach was never one to embrace the new ways of the world.

All that has changed. Welcome Tedford's blog.

"Over the last few years, I have been teased by my players for not being up-to-date with the latest internet developments like youtube, facebook and itunes, but I realize it's a reality and want to use it productively to communicate with you, the fan," he writes.

This probably has more to do with marketing the program, selling tickets and relating to recruits and players than the fans. But now that Tedford has a footprint in cyberspace, it's time to critique his first entry.

Gary Peterson of the Contra Costa Times has advice for Tedford as he takes baby steps:

"This is the Web — it's OK to bend the rules. The use of slang such as 'wazzup' or 'dude,' abbreviations, even texting shorthand such as 'lol' (laugh out loud) or 'DQMOT' (don't quote me on this) can give a blogger 'street cred' (street cred)."

And by all means, don't break the rules by writing, " 'Rough game today. I thought our quarterback was going to get killed by Washington's pass rush. How nice it would be, I thought to myself, if we only had a 6-foot-7, 295-pound left offensive tackle from Mater Dei High School on our squad.' "

Peterson adds that the "key is to make it work for you. For example, it is rumored Pete Carroll has offered to blog about USC football for a $75,000 annual stipend. DQMOT."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wiz,

Get rid of the white text on black background web page. Are you trying to ruin everyone's eyes. I won't be back.

Unknown said...

I agree on the design flaw. Very hard to read, and I have a large monitor.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my eyes hurt - let's get a new coach. This isn't fair,I won't be back either. I hate you Wiz