Only two men have held this job since 1940. Wendell Broyles did it for 35 years before handing the microphone over to press box announcer Lou Gellermann, above, in 1985. Gellermann stepped down last fall because of growing difficulties with his hearing.
Qualified applicants are asked to submit a letter of application, resume, references and a mp3 file of their abilities before March 14.
What is Washington looking for? Here is a sample, according to the job description:
- Strong vocal talent
- A unique and definitive personality
- Strong knowledge of college football, including rules and positions
- Comfortable announcing to crowds of over 50,000 on a microphone
- Comfortable announcing complex names from a variety of ethnic backgrounds
- Able to attend all home games. Must arrive three hours before kickoff
- Receptive to positive and negative feedback